That was the call this evening from President of the National Council of Parent Teachers’ Associations (NCPTA) Shone Gibb in reaction to a video taken on stage at a recent event, showing a young boy gyrating on a woman believed to be several times his age.
The event, Water Xplosion – Party in the Tropics, was held on July 2 at Paradise Park on Harbour Road, The City and featured performances from bashment soca king Stiffy, along with Mole, Hardware and Lady Essence, among others.
In the video, during a performance on stage of Fluffy Girl’s Anthem by Lady Essence, the boy, believed to be 16, can be seen lasciviously engaging one of the dancers as the artiste belts out her 2017 Crop Over release.
Gibbs told Barbados TODAY he hoped police and the Child Care Board would “investigate that matter thoroughly and make sure whoever is responsible or who was negligent, be charged accordingly.
“The video is repulsive at its best,” he said as he called for proof of the young boy’s age.
“Bring me the ID that the youngster is 16 because I can’t support that. Even if he is 16, what examples are we setting for our children when we promote this kind of behaviour? This brings into context the whole issue of, unfortunately, what we are promoting in Barbados in terms of the bashment music and the bashment soca.
“Unfortunately, what we are getting in terms of lyrics, maybe the [National Cultural Foundation] needs to relook the whole programme. The videos that are the vehicles for the music also do not do justice to what we want to portray in Barbados as our major festival, when we have a tourism product that is supposed to support and encourage family setting and such like. Is this what we want to be known for? I say no,” the NCPTA president said emphatically.
Stressing that ignorance of the law was no excuse, Gibbs said the promoter must be held accountable, insisting that promoters must have some degree of knowledge of the industry.
“If you look at what was demonstrated on the video, you knew what you wanted to do in terms of promoting the act. So, you should also understand the consequences with such activities.”
He made reference to the recent incident at The Lester Vaughn School where several students were recorded attacking a fellow pupil, and the subsequent charges laid against those involved in that attack.
Boyce said it was unfortunate that the students had to face charges, “but everybody felt that a message had to be sent.
“So let’s send a message to the adults that continue year after year, especially during Crop Over, to take advantage of young people being involved in lewd behaviour. Send a message to them that his will not be tolerated,” he said.
Meantime, Minister of Culture, Sports and Youth Stephen Lashley said the incident did not reflect well on the country, while he called for a collaborative effort to prevent such incidents.
“It speaks to the role of parents and guardians and when a young person, a minor, is behaving in a manner that is not in keeping with good behaviour, it requires immediate address if not by parents and guardians, then by authorities.
“Persons can go to parties and other Crop Over events and they can enjoy themselves, but the excessiveness is really not necessary and I would hope as we get into the climax of the Crop Over season that we enjoy ourselves, but do so in moderation,” he said.
It was only yesterday that Minister of Education Ronald Jones revived his attack on adults, who he said liked to criticize the debauchery of young people, while they exhibit unsavoury and morally disreputable behaviour on the road during Grand Kadooment, suggesting that some revellers behaved as though they had been overtaken by evil spirits.