Three teenagers charged with the murder of 58-year-old Colleen Beresdean Payne of Lodge Hill, along with two other young men who are accused of aiding and abetting them, have been remanded to Her Majesty’s Prison Dodds.
Seventeen-year-old Baggio McNeil Boxill of 3rd Avenue, Spring Garden, Black Rock, St Michael; 18-year-old Kishon Lemar Anderson Thomas of Nicholls Road, Seaview, St James and 19-year-old Orlando Ricardo Martin of 2nd Avenue, Bibby’s Lane, St Michael, have been jointly charged with Payne’s murder.
She was shot last week Monday while attempting to use the Royal Bank of Canada’s automated teller machine at University Drive, Black Rock, St Michael around 9 p.m.
Initial police reports were that Payne, who succumbed to her injuries in hospital, was attacked and shot by two men.
However, Tuesday, three men appeared before Magistrate Douglas Frederick in the No.1 District ‘A’ Criminal Court in connection with her death.
Attorney-at-law Steve Gollop represented Martin, while Angella Mitchell-Gittens appeared for Thomas and Roy Hurley for Boxill. The trio was not required to plead to the indictable offence and was remanded to prison until August 22, 2017.
In the meantime, 19-year-old Darian Reuben Thompson of Oldplow Road, Bagatelle, St Thomas was charged with disposal of clothing and 24-year-old Kyle Donicco Gill of Danesbury, Black Rock, St Michael with disposal of a firearm allegedly used in the murder.
In objecting to their bail, the prosecutor cited the seriousness of the charge, as well as the need to protect both society and the accused, amid a groundswell of public emotion.
With police still actively trying to recover the firearm, Sergeant Martin Rock further argued that releasing the accused could impede the ongoing investigation.
In response, Gill’s Attorney Dr Waldo Waldron Ramsay said he would apply for bail in the High Court.
However, Thompson’s lawyer Safiya Moore voiced strong objection, noting that her client’s charge had nothing to do with the firearm allegedly used to commit the offence.
“His [Thompson’s] charge has nothing to do with the disposal of a firearm. I have a serious objection to that. The prosecution has nothing to substantiate that claim [that Thompson’s release would impede the police in recovering the firearm],” said Moore, who further contended that her client was not a threat to society.
“I believe Mr Thompson is still a good candidate for bail. He has no previous convictions and he was about to start a Bobcat driving course. This is where his life was going,” she said.
Moore also pointed out to the court that her client had voluntarily turned himself in once he found out that the police were looking for him.
However, Frederick remanded both men until August 22, 2017.