The Barbados Meteorological Services has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for Barbados.
The strong tropical wave which was identified to the east-southeast of Barbados yesterday was upgraded to Potential Tropical Cyclone #15 at 11 a.m. and was further upgraded to Tropical Depression #15 at 2 p.m.
At 2 p.m., the center of T.D. #15 was located near 11.9°N, 51.6°W at or about 540miles or 870 km east south-east of Barbados.
The system is expected to move westward to west-northwards over the next 26 hours and on this track, the center is forecast to pass near or just north of Barbados early Monday.
Maximum sustained winds are near 35mph (55km/h) with higher gusts. Minimum central pressure was 1006mb or 29.71 inches.
Based on this information, a Tropical Storm Warning may be issued at short notice.
Regardless of development, deteriorating conditions with pockets of moderate to heavy showers, thunderstorms and gusty winds are expected to spread across Barbados from late Sunday into Monday. Rainfall accumulations of 3 to 5 inches (75 to 125mm) are possible.
Due to the already saturated nature of the soil a Flood Warning may be required at short notice. Thus, residents are urged to be on the alert and take all necessary precautions.
In addition, large easterly swells of at least 4 to 6m (13 to 20 ft) are also forecast to accompany the system. Hence, a High-Surf Advisory and Small-Craft Warning will be in effect from 6 p.m. today.
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App