Minister of Social Care Steve Blackett is suggesting that a baby who died mysteriously last week at a day care centre might have been too young to be accepted at such a facility.
However, Blackett told Barbados TODAY he would first familiarize himself with the stipulation regarding the age at which a child is allowed to enter such facilities before arriving at a final conclusion.
He said Government would take a closer look at the requirements for the admission of children to day care facilities here, with a view to ensuring that proper protocols were followed, in light of the death of the one-month-old boy who spent at least six hours at the Divine Day Nursery and Pre-School in St Stephen’s Hill, Black Rock, St Michael before his parents were summoned last Thursday.
The child, Kaiden DaCosta Greenidge, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital after being rushed there by his parents, Silverson Greenidge and Petra Rouse.
The caregiver had told the father his son “didn’t look right” and needed to see a doctor.
However, what has Blackett bewildered is the age at which the child was accepted into the nursery.
He said it was drawn to his attention that a one month old child should not be allowed into a day nursery because the infant would not have had its first vaccination.
A concerned Blackett gave the assurance that he would get to the bottom of this troubling issue.
“I would think that one month is much, much too young,” he said, adding that a regional conference on children being held in Barbados tomorrow would examine issues such as these.
Senior Medical Officer of Health Dr Anton Best told Barbados TODAY that a baby receives the first inoculation – for diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus – at two months old, the second – for polio – at four months, and the third at six months old for haemophilus.
He said the vaccines for measles, mumps, and rubella and varicella are administered when the child reaches one year old.
Meanwhile, the baby’s father this afternoon said the autopsy had not yet been conducted on his son’s body to determine the cause of death. However, he said he expected that it would be done later this week.
Last week, Child Care Board Director Joan Crawford had confirmed to Barbados TODAY that some of her officers had visited the nursery soon after the boy’s death to hear first-hand from the staff what had occurred.
But with the matter now under police investigation, Crawford was tight-lipped on the visit.
She however disclosed that the facility would be allowed to remain open for business “until we hear from the police.
“The police have the lead in this matter,” Crawford had stressed.