NASSAU – The family of an American couple booked to honeymoon in the Bahamas last month have launched a social media campaign to find them after more than two weeks with no contact.
LeeAnn Burger, 23, said her uncle Forrest Sanco and his wife Donna, travelled from Florida on board a Cessna 150-N3214X en route to the Bahamas on September 25.
The pair never turned up for their Rum Cay honeymoon, and now Burger is trying to raise $10,000 through a Go Fund Me campaign to hire private crews and pilots to find them.
The native of Houston, Texas, claimed the pair landed in Grand Bahama on the same day, where they cleared customs and spent the night.
Burger said the couple reportedly left Grand Bahama en route to Rum Cay on September 26 where they had rented a home for the week.
However, she said the pair never arrived, with last contact coming in North Eleuthera where the couple had stopped for fuel.
A Facebook page for the Rum Cay Community asked anyone with information about the Argyle, Texas couple to contact the page. One of the comments on that post suggested the pair did leave North Eleuthera around 2:30pm, September 26.
In an interview with The Tribune Monday, Burger said attempts to connect with Bahamian authorities proved fruitless, with any insight into the disappearance being provided by American authorities.
She said: “We’re trying, the best way we know how to determine what happened in this case.”
“As far as we are aware, they were going to the Bahamas for their honeymoon and the last place they made contact was in Eleuthera. We want to determine what happened to them there or after they left,” Burger added.
She later indicated the family had lodged cases with both the United States Embassy in New Providence and Royal Bahamas Police Force last Friday.
Burger said representatives from both agencies told her that they would “look into it.”
Both the RBPF and the Royal Bahamas Defence Force said their agencies were exploring inquires on the matter up to press time Monday.