Thousands of Zimbabweans have gathered near State House, President Robert Mugabe’s official residence.
While Mugabe lives in a private mansion elsewhere, State House is where official functions are held. It is where negotiations have taken place for the departure of Mugabe, who is under military house arrest.
Huge crowds have rallied Saturday in the capital, Harare, in a demonstration backed by the military that urges the 93-year-old Mugabe to step aside after nearly four decades in power.
Mugabe’s recent move to fire his deputy and position his wife to replace him led the military to step in.
The state-run Zimbabwe Herald reports that marchers are also making their way to the “Blue Roof” mansion where Mugabe lives.
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App