Two men, including a teenager, were remanded to HMP Dodds today after appearing before Magistrate Douglas Frederick on ten joint charges of theft.
They are 16-year-old Ajani Anthony Brathwaite, of Hillbury Road, Brittons Hill, St Michael, and 23-year-old Adrian Romario Mottley, of No. 13, Water Mill Place, Bayville, St Michael.
The duo is accused of robbing Ruben Guiste of an $800 bracelet and $60 in cash on November 27. They are also accused of robbing Michael Mohan of a $750 cellular phone, Kerry-ann Harris of a $1, 200 cellular phone, Walton Burrowes of a $2,500 cellular phone and Roxanne Jones of $800 cash – all on December 3.
On December 16, Antonio Perch allegedly became their next victim when they reportedly robbed him of a $600 cellular phone, two bangles worth $400, a watch worth $120, a bag worth $120, a pair of sneakers worth $400, a $120 wallet, $600 in cash and three bottles of whiskey worth $480.
They are also accused of assaulting David Benn with intent to rob him on December 16, as well as robbing Kenrick Gibson of a $650 cellular phone. Also on that same day they allegedly stole a bag valued at $70, a cellular phone worth $400, a ring valued at $1,500, a bracelet worth $400, a tin of spam worth $10, two tins of sausages worth $4.20, 50 tickets worth $50 and $70 in cash belonging to Eglah Benn while robbing Emon Layne of a $300 firearm, six rounds of ammunition valued $6, a firearm licence worth $200, a $50 wallet, a $25 Barbados identification card, a $50 Cave Shepherd card, a $60 BARP card and 65 tickets worth $65.
They were not required to plead to the offences, as the prosecutor, Station Sergeant Neville Reid, who objected to bail, pointed out that firearms were allegedly used in commiting the crimes.
He also submitted that a firearm was stolen during the commission of one of the offences and that investigations were continuing in order to recover the gun while a third person is also being sought by police.
“We believe that the frequency in which they [the offences] were committed, if granted bail, the accused would reoffend and there is need to protect the citizens of this country,” Reid said, also pointing out that Mottley was already on bail for other matters.
However, Brathwaite’s attorneys Marlon Gordon and Harry Husbands argued that their client was fit for bail and should be allowed to go home for Christmas.
While also contending that the 16-year-old was hardly a man and was innocent of the charges, Gordon submitted that conditions could be imposed in order to secure Brathwaite’s attendance at court.
“What nexus do they [the police] have in connecting Brathwaite to these offences. He was arrested since Saturday and was only brought to court today,” the attorney said, while highlighting the fact that the teenager was neither charged with possession nor for use of a firearm.
“There is no other evidence against him apart from the serious nature of the matter,” the attorney argued, adding that Brathwaite had no other matters pending before the court.
However, the same could not be said for Mottley who has two cases of aggravated burglary pending. Those matters date back to 2014. However, his legal counsel Sian Lange argued that her client, who had been in custody since Monday, was a fit candidate for bail.
According to her the maintenance worker, who is employed at a hotel, was picked up by police at work, and was never given an opportunity to give a statement with regards to the offences.
“There are alleged confession statements but he never gave any statement or signed anything.”
She further argued that to remand him at this time would put his job at risk and his family in financial peril.
However, with tears running down Brathwaite’s dad’s face, Magistrate Frederick stated that the police must be given a chance to conduct their investigations.
“We all live in this society, we know the trend with respect to firearms and there is an allegation that a firearm was stolen. In this case societal interest trumps the individual interest in this circumstance,” the magistrate explained as he remanded the accused men to prison until January 18.