Barbados will welcome this island’s second female Governor General in the New Year.
Prime Minister Freundel Stuart today announced that Madame Justice Sandra Mason will become the island’s eighth Governor General.
Justice Mason, an Appeals Court Judge, has more than 30 years experience in the legal profession.
She has served as Registrar of the Supreme Court and Chief Magistrate.
Justice Mason was also a former High Court Judge in the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States.
She will be officially appointed at a formal ceremony on Monday January 8, 2018 in the Senate Chambers.
In keeping with tradition, Her Majesty The Queen has agreed to confer on Justice Mason, the honour and dignity of Dame Grand Cross of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George (GCMG).
On assumption of the office of Governor-General, Justice Mason will, under the Order of the Dame of Saint Andrew, become the Chancellor and Principal Dame of Saint Andrew.
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App