Nine Barbadians have been honoured in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours list.
The recipients include leading figures from the labour movement, education, the church and the public service.
Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) awardees are former permanent secretaries Charles Livingstone Smith and Shirley Irene Farnum for their public service and former District Superintendent of the Nazarene Church, Barbados District, Reverend Dr.Orlando Devere Seale for his contribution to the church and education.
Those presented with the Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) are : President of the Caribbean Congress of Trade Unions and Staff Associations Cedric Harcourt Murrell for this contribution to the labour movement. His counterpart President of the Barbados Workers Union Linda Patricia Brooks also received the award for her years of service. Carlton O’Brian Hinds also received the honour for work in the catering industry.
Two former fire chiefs Velmo Claudius Cadogan and Clifford Adelbert Clarke have been awarded the Member of the Order of the British Empire for their services to the Barbados Fire Service. Veteran education Alvin Ellwood Carter also received the special honour.
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App