Scores of onlookers gathered outside Parliament buildings in The City this afternoon to witness the installation of this island’s eighth Governor General Dame Sandra Mason, which was also attended by several dignitaries, including Sir Gary Sobers – the island’s only living National Hero – Prime Minister Freundel Stuart, former Prime Minister Owen Arthur, Opposition Leader Mia Mottley.
Dame Sandra, 68, replaces Sir Elliott Belgrave who retired at the end of June last year. The former jurist previously acted as Governor General in 2012.
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App