Former Trinidad and Tobago president George Maxwell Richards died last night around 7.43 at the WestShore Medical Private Hospital from a heart attack.
A source close to the family said that Richards, who served as the country’s fourth president from 2003 to 2013, was not feeling well around noon following which his wife Jean and daughter Maxine took him to the hospital in Cocorite for medical attention.
There, doctors discovered that Richards, 86, had an unusual heartbeat.
Doctors advised that he installed a pacemaker to regulate his heart beat.
Before his passing, Richards was very responsive and in high spirits, the source said.
On Maxine Richards’ Facebook page last night, she posted a picture of herself and her father stating: “Rest in peace daddy, I can’t believe you are gone.”
Scores of people took to social media last night to express shock on his sudden passing and to extend condolences to bereaved family. (Trinidad Guardian)
- Local News
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App