The International Olympics Committee (IOC) announced on Monday the 23 young reporters who will participate in the IOC young reporters programme. Barbados TODAY‘s Anmar Goodridge- Boyce is among them.
The programme which will be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina in September of this year, will include intensive class and field training in written, photographic, television, radio and new media reporting on sports.
The 19-year-old reporter said his acceptance into the prestigious programme which is in its third year “is a dream come true” and he spoke about the rigorous application process.
“I actually found out about the IOC Young Reporters programme from another young journalist here in Barbados, she sent me a link to the IOC page with all the information but I really didn’t pay it any mind,” Goodridge-Boyce said, adding the requirements were so high that he felt his chances of being chosen were too slim.
“You had to be nominated by your National Olympic Committee to the Continental Olympic Association, who then nominated two female and two male young reporters to represent their continent in the programme,” he said. Goodridge-Boyce noted that though it might sound simple one was competing against hundreds of applications.
Fate would have it that the young reporter who has dedicated the last three years of his life to journalism was on the Barbados Olympic Association’s (BOA) radar and a few months later he received a call that started his application process.
“I was at work filling in for our senior sports reporter who was on vacation when an official from the BOA called, informing me once more about the programme and stating that Barbados wanted to select me as their representative for the National Olympic Committee, I was very excited but hesitant because I knew they were still doing their selection process and a nomination was not a guarantee in to the programme as I still had to be selected at the continent level where I’d be competing for a spot against reporters from the Caribbean and the Americas,” Goodridge-Boyce said.
He submitted his application and months later he received an email from the Pan American Sports Organization notifying him he was selected to represent them, but this was still no guarantee.
“It was nerve-wracking because throughout all the emails they made it very clear, it did not mean I was in the programme as yet, I still had to be interviewed by one of the mentors of the programme before knowing for certain,” he explained.
His interview would go well but Goodridge-Boyce was not convinced. “I didn’t want to get excited until I knew for sure,” he stated.
The December 12th announcement would be delayed by the Winter Olympic Games which came to a close last week. On Monday the young reporter received the email that sealed the deal.
“I am stoked, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, at 19 I can never know it all, so I am just open to learning as much as possible and coming back and sharing with my fellow journalists in the newsroom. I hope that this experience would make me a better sports reporter and help develop my craft,” said a thrilled Goodridge-Boyce who credited his success to hard work, support and foremost God. (KH)