In one fell swoop, 72-year-old Lucene Bishop lost two of her three sons in a deadly overnight blaze which occurred at her Lot 15, Fairview #1, Christ Church home.
Her deceased sons – 42-year-old Ricardo Harewood and 43-year-old Mark Harewood – met their unfortunate demise around 12:45 this morning when the rear section of the wooden and concrete home they shared with her and older brother Andrew became engulfed in flames.
However, if their older brother’s theory is to be believed, they may actually be the ones responsible for their own tragic end.
When a Barbados TODAY team arrived at her home today, Bishop, who had earlier lost her second oldest son Kenrick Harewood back in the 2007 Joe’s River crash, was being comforted by her neighbours and her last surviving son Andrew as she sat outside of her partially burnt home.
Andrew revealed that his two deceased brothers were apparently sound asleep in the rear section of the house which they occupied, when it was gutted by fire.
However, he said both he and his mother, who lived in the concrete block, managed to escape with their lives as their section of the home only suffered water damage.
With his mother, who is a diabetic, still struggling to come to terms with her latest loss, he explained he had belatedly informed her about Ricardo and Mark’s death out of fear of how she would respond.
The eldest of his mother’s children, Andrew was the first one to jump out the house and attempt to put out the fire.
“I run out here in a bare boxer and
. . . when I check myself I didn’t have on no clothes so I had to run back in . . . . All I could do was kick off the back door and then I had to run back in for she [his mother],” he said.
His brothers’ charred bodies were only discovered when the fire was extinguished and fire officials were examining the remains of the wooden structure.
No one knew that Mark and Ricardo were at home, but Andrew told Barbados TODAY he suspected that his brothers were intoxicated when the fire occurred.
“I didn’t even know they were in there. I know a bag was at me and my mother when I came home. I figured they went back out because they come in when they feel like,” he said.
“Them hard ears man! I talk to them everyday about smoking cigarettes and coming in drunk. I told them . . . a cigarette does not out and alcohol does light. I figure that one of them dropped sleep with the cigarette and it catch up in there,” the older brother added.
Maureen Bute, who lives a stone throw away, was jolted awake by the commotion and the vicious flames. Bute said that it was unfortunate what occurred, adding that although the brothers had a penchant for alcohol, they were good people.
“The boys them was friendly but the only thing is that they drink . . . . They don’t trouble nobody,” she said.
But “if you ask them to do anything they would do it for you,” she added. firstname.lastname@example.org.