There is not enough evidence linking Suleman Esuf to the 2,778.38 pounds of cannabis discovered in a container in the Bridgetown Port eight years ago.
That was the ruling of Magistrate Douglas Frederick today in the District ‘A’ Magistrates Court following a preliminary inquiry.
The then 22-year-old, of ‘Redman House’ Bagatelle, St Thomas, had been charged with having a trafficable quantity of cannabis and doing acts preparatory for the purpose of trafficking cannabis between April 1, 2010 and July 26, 2010.
The drugs had a street value of $11 million.
However, Frederick dismissed the case, saying the evidence was deficient.
“The witnesses who took the stand did not connect Suleman Esuf to the container of drugs found.
“The only connection in terms of evidence to Mr Esuf is three oral statements,” the magistrate said.
“But those statements were not signed or initialed by the accused. The fact that they were not initialed or signed also prompted counsel to object to those statements.”
Fredrick said the fact that the police officers who reportedly took those statements gave no reason as to why the accused did not sign or initial them “raises unreliability of those oral statements”.
He said the prosecution also sought to have emails entered into evidence, but he could not do so because they did not involve Esuf.
“He was neither the sender or the receiver, so those emails amounted to hearsay. Furthermore, those persons involved in the emails did not give evidence.
“The case was not a good one,” Frederick said before dismissing it.