The Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) will be seeking legal advice that could see future changes being made to the way disputes are settled in the various tournaments played under their auspices.
Speaking to Barbados TODAY against the background of the wrangling that has occurred in the BCA’s Sagicor General Twenty20 Championship, director of cricket at the BCA Steven Leslie said that after the cricketing matter currently before the court was resolved the BCA would be seeking to make definitive adjustments to how disputes were resolved.
Since June this year, the quarterfinals of the BCA Sagicor General Twenty20 Championship has been in limbo after an appeal by Crane Resort St Catherine over a decision by the BCA Complaints & Disputes Committee to replay the rain-affected quarterfinal match against Bayview Hospital YMPC at the Three Ws Oval on June 4. YMPC protested the outcome of the match which they lost by ten wickets under the Duckworth-Lewis Stern Method.
The Complaints & Disputes Committee ruled the match was not played in accordance with the rules of the competition.
“Rules that had been in place for the previous 29 games in the competition. As a result of which, any variation would render the game null and void,” the committee ruled.
The match was therefore deemed a “no decision” by the committee. This ruling was opposed by St Catherine and the matter was once more referred to the Appeal Tribunal. At a hearing on June 18, the Appeals Tribunal ruled that the appeal by St Catherine must be upheld and the on-the-field-of-play result stands.
After that ruling by the Appeals Tribunal, the semifinals were scheduled to be played on July 3 and 5 with the final on July 10 but the games never took place.
On September 7, the BCA in a press release stated that the semi-finals and final of the 2018 BCA Sagicor General Twenty20 would be played at Kensington Oval on September 17 and 20 with the final on September 23. These matches were later postponed until further notice. Four months after the quarterfinals began, the competition still is on hold.
“We reached the point where the original protest was heard by the Complaints and Dispute Committee. In that ruling, there is provision for the Appeals Tribunal to hear an appeal. Once the process was completed where the Tribunal had heard the appeal. We offer a process where an arbitration is heard by both parties. Two parties declined to take part in the arbitration process, and we follow the rules that allowed the semifinals to be played. There was an aggrieved party, that party has the right to hear the matter within the Court, according to the laws of the land. As a result, we felt that it would be prudent for them to be allowed all of their rights and the matches were called off,” Leslie told Barbados TODAY.
Leslie said the competition which began on April 16 ran smoothly and when the dispute took place it had reached the quarterfinals stage.
“The unfortunate incident has stopped the flow of the tournament. As a result, several people will be disappointed but we will engage them to make them understand that we have to allow due process to take place,” Leslie said.
“If a club wants a matter to be heard in the law courts, it is their right. We are very clear in our minds that we must allow that process to work. The sponsor of the tournament is constantly being updated on all of the developments that are taking place, we are really hoping to have this matter resolved so that we can bring closure to the competition,” the director added.
He stated that clubs at the beginning of every competition were fully aware of the appeal process, and were also cognizant of their rights.
“Maybe twenty years ago, it might not have been so, but I want to stress that at present, it is as clear as day that the clubs know what they are entitled to do if they are not in agreement with a ruling made by the BCA. They come very well prepared to state their case and are well supported by persons from within and outside of the club when making their presentations,” Leslie said.
The director said he was pleased with the way the overall cricket season had been going so far with several competitions being competed without controversy.
“If everything had gone to plan, the Twenty20 competition would have been over by now but as in anything in life there are hiccups along the way,” Leslie said.