SOURCE: BBC NEWS: China has confirmed it is holding the missing head of Interpol, Meng Hongwei.
Beijing said he was under investigation by the country’s anti-corruption body for unspecified breaches of the law.
Mr Meng, also a vice-minister of public security in China, was reported missing after travelling from the city of Lyon in France, where Interpol is based, to China on September 25.
Interpol said it had received his resignation on Sunday with immediate effect.
Chinese official to head Interpol
China’s National Supervision Commission, which handles corruption cases involving public servants, said Mr Meng was under investigation in a statement on its website.
Mr Meng is the latest high-profile disappearance in China, where a number of top government officials, billionaires and even an A-list celebrity have vanished in recent months. Earlier this week, actress Fan Bingbang, who disappeared in China in July, emerged with a public apology and a fine of 883 million yuan ($129m; £98.9m) for tax evasion and other offences.
What has Interpol said?
In a statement on its Twitter site, Interpol said it had received the resignation with immediate effect.
Under its terms it had appointed senior vice-president Kim Jong-yang of South Korea as acting president.
A new president will be elected for the remaining two years of Mr Meng’s mandate at the general assembly in Dubai next month.
On Saturday, the international police agency had urged China to clarify Mr Meng’s status, saying it was concerned about the well-being of its president.
France has opened an investigation but said on Sunday it had no further information. (BBC NEWS)