Beginning November 15, long waits at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) might soon be a thing of the past.
That is according to Minister of Health and Wellness Lieutenant Colonel Jeffrey Bostic who revealed that several new initiatives would soon be implemented at the hospital to improve the quality of service delivered to Barbadians.
Bostic said those initiatives would commence from as early as next month when the QEH is expected to receive its first set of monies from the Health Services Contribution.
Among some of the other improvements to be made, he said, were the addition of a triage station, a Minor Cases Unit and a Discharge Lounge.
He said these initiatives would greatly reduce the strain which was currently being placed on the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E).
“This will be a physician-led triage station that will reduce the time, from the time you arrive at the door until you are seen by a doctor. Very importantly, there will also be the establishment of a Minor Cases Unit at the QEH and once you go to triage and it has been determined you are not an acute case-patient, you will be then transferred or sent to the Minor Case Unit which will see you, treat you and then either allow you to be discharged or if you have to be admitted you will be admitted from the Unit,” Bostic said.
He said the Discharge Lounge would cater to those persons who had been discharged from the hospital by doctors, but were waiting on medication or transportation to leave.
“That too will be implemented shortly and will also bring a measure of relief.”
Additionally, he revealed there would also be the establishment of an Observation Ward to “complement and supplement” what was being done at the A&E, while patient advocates at the QEH would also be re-trained to make them more effective.