Despite bail applications from their respective lawyers, two young men and a young woman who are accused of robbing a popular restaurant were remanded to HMP Dodds for the second time in four days.
Dario Ramon Whittaker, Pierre Ramon Belle and Kimberly Ashleigh Ellis, were remanded by Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant when they appeared in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
Whittaker, a 22-year-old security officer of Bay Street and Ellis, 24, of Block 6F, Field Road, Wildey, are charged along with Kemaro O’Neil Harris, 20, of Block 4H, Rock Close, Wildey and 23-year-old Jabarry Stefan Roach of Block 1A, Rock Close, Wildey, St Michael, with entering Chutney’s and RB’s Rotisserie as trespassers on November 9, 2018, and stealing a $600 cellphone belonging to D’Andrea Burrowes and $3043.78 belonging to ESC Inc, while armed with a knife.
The 27-year-old Belle, a general worker of Block 6G, Field Road, Wildey, is separately charged along with Harris and Roach with entering the same restaurant as trespassers last July 20 and stealing $4942.10 belonging to ESC Inc, a $200 cellphone, a $30 case and $20 belonging to Persuadia Powlett, as well as $1200 cellphone belonging to D’Andrea Burrowes, while armed with a knife, box cutter and a pair of scissors.
The five accused appeared before Chief Magistrate Christopher Birch on Saturday and had been remanded.
In her bail application, attorney-at-law Angela Gittens who appeared on behalf of Whittaker, argued that her client was not known to the court and was gainfully employed. While she admitted that the offence for which her client was charged was a serious one, Gittens said that alone should not be the deciding factor in whether or not bail was granted.
She also argued that because the matters were indictable, it would be “some time” before they would be before the High Court, which meant her client could possibly be on remand for a long period.
Attorney-at law Harry Husbands who represented Belle, too argued that his client was a fit and proper candidate for bail. He pointed out that this was Belle’s first charge and he was willing to adhere to any conditions imposed by the court.
Ellis’ legal representative, Edward Hunte said his client was a member of the Barbados women’s national football team and a period of incarceration could result in her losing her place on the side.
He said this was Ellis’ first time before the court and pointed out that her family was present in court and was willing to stand as a surety if bail was granted.
However, after listening to all three submissions, Magistrate Cuffy-Sargeant denied the trio bail.
They will return to court on January 2, 2019.