Convict Peter Anthony Barnes admitted that he burgalrised a restaurant of several items during the Covid-19 curfew but contested the “impossible” amount listed on the charged sheet.
“I plead guilty but I ain’t carry way all dem things,” he told the court.
The 36-year-old, of no fixed place of abode, entered Bigray’s Restaurant between April 11 and 12 and stole $2,706 worth of food and beverages and other items including: 14 packs of pasta, two cases of drinks, two bags of rice, 24 juices, two cans of olives, six cans of corn, ice cream, two boxes of cheese, barbeque sauce, assorted vegetables, a case of cup holders and 200 cups.
Sergeant Crishna Graham said Barnes was caught around 12:30 p.m. but could not give police a satisfactory reason why he was outdoors when a national directive had been enforced given the Covid-19 pandemic.
The prosecutor also disclosed that the owner of the restaurant, Raymond Belgrave, had secured his establishment but was later notified that it had been broken into and an inventory was carried out.
“All dem tings? I would need a truck. Not only that, but I had to climb up. How I would climb down with all dem tings? Not all dem tings,” Barnes stressed.
He added: “I duh want something to eat, that’s de honest truth. I even eat some things there.”
Magistrate Wayne Clarke told him what was “unique” about his situation was that he had not only broken curfew but was found stealing as well.
The judicial officer added that Barnes was at the higher end of breaching the curfew given his actions on the day.
The penalty for the curfew breach is set at $50,000 or 12 months in prison or both.
“I ain’t got no money sir so I will have to take the year,” Barnes stated.
Magistrate Clarke sentenced him to a year at Dodds on both counts to run concurrently.