Residents of Dover, Christ Church, are prepared to go to the law courts in an effort to get a good night’s sleep.
Fed up and frustrated with the continued late night construction by Jada Construction at the former Dover Woods site owned by Sandals Barbados, they have threatened to file a High Court injunction to prevent any work being done later than 6 p.m.
The residents have obtained the services of attorney-at-law Lalu Hanuman.
In a letter written to the Manager of Sandals Barbados, dated July 24, of which a copy was obtained by Barbados TODAY, Hanuman said they were prepared to take legal action.
“For several weeks now there have been building works at the former Dover Woods site from early morning until well into the night. I have spoken with the site manager – Monsieur Rene Dulieu – about the late night works but still they continue…This arrogant, disdainful, callous behaviour is totally unacceptable and most contemptuous of local residents, not least the elderly residents in the adjacent Love and Care Nursing Home,” the letter stated.
“This is to formally put you on notice that unless site operations stop forthwith by 6 p.m. daily, a High Court injunction will be applied for preventing works before 8 a.m. and after 6 p.m. daily and with no work on Sundays,” it added.
Hanuman said despite speaking with site manager Rene Dulieu about the resident’s concerns the late night activity was still ongoing.
Hanuman said the work had been going on for months, even during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Hanuman, who also resides in Dover, said he had also laid a complaint at Oistins Police Station.
“Even during the lockdown they were working so I don’t know if they had a special permit. They quite often work well into the night, 10 p.m., 11 p.m. On July 16 it was the worst as they went past midnight. I went to bed at midnight and they were still working,” he said.
“They have these cement mixing trucks and a crane-typed thing that sucks the cement out and they are hammering metal…”
He said a section of the construction site was about 50 yards from his bedroom and was quite noisy.
“It is quite selfish of them to be doing so. There is an old people’s home opposite and the old people there would be disturbed just like everybody else. It’s not just the noise from the building site, it’s also the heavy duty trucks which are going up and down the road constantly. They’re treating us with contempt,” Hanuman charged.
However, when contacted Dulieu tendered an apology.
He told Barbados TODAY he had met with Hanuman and agreed that work should be finished by 9:30 the latest.
He said while construction had gone past that time on two occasions, it was not the norm.
Dulieu said the fact that they were working in a residential area meant the concerns of residents came first.
“We did have a few concrete pours that would have gone on into the late hours. There are two occasions which come to mind and I accept it is not acceptable and we did not intend to do so,” he said.
He explained that one of the late nights stemmed from a serious equipment malfunction which was “out of their control”.
Dulieu said he planned to meet with Hanuman tomorrow to offer his apologies and to reassure him that it would not happen going forward. [email protected]
Read our ePaper. Fast. Factual. Free.
Sign up and stay up to date with Barbados' FREE latest news.