Government has closed its public assistance programme for vulnerable families to new applicants but a senior civil servant said Friday that support will continue for those who had already received three monthly payments.
Permanent Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office Alies Jordan, said the Adopt Our Families programme will continue to deposit funds to debit cards that were issued to the families for the next three months, subject to further review.
The programme is catering to more than double the number of beneficiary families. The intended limit was 1,500 families but help is going to 3,453 families, Jordan revealed.
The initiative is backed by donations from companies, charities and individuals, including many Barbadians living abroad, as well as those who had become Barbadians “by choice”, said Jordan, as she thanked the donors for their support.
She said: “Our interest in these vulnerable families shows our commitment to take action to be our brother’s keeper.”
The Adopt Our Families programme is a joint effort of the Ministry of People Empowerment and Elder Affairs, the COVID-19 Implementation Unit and the Household Mitigation Unit which was set up to help the most vulnerable families affected by Government’s fiscal austerity drive.
Jordan urged donors to continue to make donations to account 1001193982, at CIBC FirstCaribbean International Bank, Broad Street Branch, under the title Ministry of Finance Adopt a Family.
Once the deposit is made, the donor is asked to notify Jordan’s office by email to [email protected].
Donors who live overseas have been asked to make their deposits to CIBC FirstCaribbean International Bank, Broad Street, St. Michael, account 1001193982 – Swift Code FCIBBBBB.