The Barbados Meteorological Services issued a flash flood watch for the island just after 11 this morning.
This alert message is valid from 11 am and will be terminated at 6 pm today or sooner if conditions warrant.
A Flash-Flood Watch is issued when heavy or excessive rainfall in a short period of time (generally less than six hours) could result in flooding within the Watch area.
It does not mean that flooding will occur, but it is possible.
Maximum Rainfall Accumulations of 20.0 to 50.0 mm in heavy showers.
Residents and visitors should be prepared for the following possibilities if this alert level elevates to red:
- Significant runoff from higher elevations.
- Significant soil erosion is likely on exposed or scarred land surfaces.
- Large water settlements on roads and fields.
- Significant adjustments to water levels of existing water bodies (ponds etc.).
- Significant delays on traffic routes with some roads possibly impassable.
- Large objects or debris from higher elevations may also become embedded within fast moving water flows.
- Significant flooding at the foot of hillsides and coastal roads is possible.