A 95-year-old woman escaped with her life but lost her house in a fire at Drax Hall Hope, St George on Monday.
Relieved family members told Barbados TODAY that Loise Moore, also known as Carmen, is safe and sound after a visit to the kitchen to reheat Sunday leftovers ended in flames.
Video images show smoke and fire billowing from the wooden house as the elderly woman walking with an umbrella and a few bags left the house as firefighters rushed to put out the blaze that occurred after 8 a.m.
Moore’s niece Binta Thomas said, “This morning I got a call saying that my great aunt’s house was on fire and I immediately got up and went to her rescue. When I got here she was by a neighbour. So she is all safe and sound.
“She got out of her home at 95 years old and with no injuries, no burns or nothing like that, so I thank God for everything, she is safe and currently with relatives for now.”
The elderly woman who lives alone said she was reheating leftovers from Sunday lunch on the stove when she heard a sudden explosion, according to Thomas.
Moore said that she immediately grabbed some things and got out.
Thomas said the incident came as a shock, as she recalled that just last Saturday she had spent time with Moore at the house chatting and taking pictures.
While she regrets the blaze, she said she is giving thanks that her aunt is safe.
“So today, despite this tragedy, she is safe and still with us. I feel very good,” said Thomas. (SD)