ElectionLocal NewsPolitics People’s Coalition for Progress fielding 15 candidates by Lourianne Graham 27/01/2026 written by Lourianne Graham 27/01/2026 4 min read A+A- Reset Share FacebookTwitterLinkedinWhatsappEmail 197 The People’s Coalition for Progress (PCP), an alliance of three parties, on Monday said it was contesting half the seats in the February 11 general election, while positioning itself as a new alternative to the traditional two-party contest. The PCP, which unites the New National Party (NNP), United Progressive Party (UPP) and Conservative Barbados Labour Party (CBLP), led its 15 candidates to pay their election deposits on Monday, finalising its lineup. Each candidate paid the $250 nomination fee at the Treasury, housed at the National Housing Corporation on Country Road. NNP leader Kemar Stuart expressed confidence in his chances of winning the St John seat, where he will challenge Democratic Labour Party (DLP) leader Ralph Thorne and Barbados Labour Party (BLP) incumbent Charles Griffith. “My campaigning has been excellent in St John. The response has been over the top — we’re looking at a victory,” Stuart declared. “The NNP will create history in Barbados. History was created with Errol Barrow in St John, and we will do it again come February 11.” He chided Thorne for leaving his former constituency, Christ Church South, to contest St John and argued that Barbados should reduce the number of Members of Parliament. “I’m asking the public to vote them all out to ensure we don’t have the extra expense of paying pensions for 20 MPs.” You Might Be Interested In Barbadians to vote in general elections on January 19, 2022 Franklyn not contesting elections #BTEditorial – General elections in a pandemic PCP candidate for St Michael West, Patsy Nurse, said she was contesting the seat owing to dissatisfaction with how constituents are treated by their political representatives. She said: “The elderly concern me, people with disabilities concern me. People talking about bad roads, and people need houses.” Nurse, who stood for the seat in 2022 under a DLP banner, said she was encouraged by the response this time: “Everybody complaining. They saying they don’t like what’s going on so far, but they giving me good encouragement to continue and represent them in St Michael West.” NNP candidate Natalie Parris, who is contesting Christ Church East Central, said she entered politics out of a need for representation and change. She said: “I answered the call after contemplating for a long time. Several people asked me to come forward. Having witnessed the injustices to the people of Barbados over time, I felt it was my duty to come out.” St Michael East candidate Carolyn Clarke described her campaign as demanding but rewarding as she engaged constituents from all walks of life. “I’m finding that people are willing and ready for the election,” she said. Clarke highlighted youth disengagement and public safety as major concerns. “ Youth are not feeling the trust; they’re not feeling the security,” she said, adding that gun violence remained a serious issue in her constituency. Returning candidate Wayne Griffith, who previously ran in St Lucy under the Alliance Party for Progress, will run again under the PCP banner. He said voters were increasingly open to a multi-party system. “The level of voter apathy is alarming. People haven’t been seeing the representation they deserve, and because of that, they’re embracing our coalition,” he said. “They understand that now is the time to move away from a two-party state to a multi-party democracy.” CBLP leader Corey Beckles said his campaign would take a grassroots approach. “We’re speaking with community members, seeing their daily experiences, and finding out how life really is on the ground during the week and on weekends,” said Beckles. “The responses have been very good, but people want to see action in their communities.” Christopher Alleyne, who will stand for Christ Church South, urged voters to focus on substance rather than distractions. “Look at the candidates. Analyse them. Ease back from the partying and the distractions and focus seriously on character,” he said. “I’m asking you to examine your economic and social position and decide which candidate is sincere about taking you from 2026 and beyond.” One of the youngest female candidates, Shannon Gonsalves, who is contesting in St Thomas, said she was eager to bring a science-based perspective to public life. Gonsalves, a biology teacher, said: “I’m happy and enthusiastic to bring my skill set and make history in Barbados with someone who has a background in science. My training is in microbiology.” Christ Church East candidate Ingrid Best said she remained concerned about persistent issues in her constituency. “People still need jobs. Some areas still have pit toilets, bad roads, and too many young people on the blocks,” she said, adding that she intended to be visible and accessible to constituents. (LG) Lourianne Graham You may also like Wanted man now in police custody 16/02/2026 Cabinet ministers sworn in 16/02/2026 Durant gets community service; cautions about social media misuse 16/02/2026