“Think before you act!”
That was the stern warning handed down by Magistrate Wanda Blair to the man who was charged with hitting a motorist in the head with a piece of wood in a viral social media video, just before remanding him to HMP Dodds.
After hearing the news, Canute Hiran Ward, 36, of Dayrells Road, Christ Church, lowered his head and released a loud sigh as he stood in the dock of the Holetown Magistrates Court today.
Ward was not required to plead to causing serious bodily harm to Ramar Nurse with intent to maim, disfigure or disable him, or to do some other serious bodily harm to him while at Fitts Village, St James on January 2, 2019.
After attorney-at-law Kadeisha Wickham made a bail application on his behalf, Ward rose to address the court.
“I know I was wrong, but I was provoked…” he began by saying, before being stopped by the magistrate who informed him he could not reveal details of the incident.
“I just got a job the last two months and jobs are hard to get in Barbados. I would not like to lose it,” Ward then continued.
However, Magistrate Blair agreed with the objections made by prosecutor Station Sergeant Samuel Hinds.
“Given the serious nature and the fact that the complainant is still hospitalized, I am going to remand you. Your lawyer has made a sterling application on your behalf and although jobs are hard to get, people need to think before they act in whatever circumstances,” she said.
Hinds had earlier objected to the accused being granted bail, stating that the act appeared to be unprovoked and the injuries to the complainant were serious in nature, as he was currently hospitalized in stable but serious condition.
Hinds also disclosed that Ward was known to the court for similar offences, even though they were of a less severe nature.
Ward, who was supposed to be represented by Queen’s Counsel Michael Lashley, instead had his bail application made by Wickham, due to Lashley’s lateness.
At 11:40 a.m. and after waiting over an hour for Lashley – who was reportedly in another court – to arrive, the Magistrate told Wickham she could wait no longer.
“The court is not waiting anymore. He said he was on his way and unless he is coming from Timbuktu, he should be here by now,” Blair declared.
Wickham then asked the court for some time to consult with Lashley and was given five minutes to do so.
When she returned, Wickham told the court Lashley had indicated he was on his way and would soon be there.
However, the magistrate told Wickham she was ready to proceed with the matter and read the charge to Ward.
In her bail application, Wickham said Ward was a father of five and the breadwinner of his family. She said if he were remanded he would be unable to provide for them.
Additionally, she said the accused also supported his brothers.
While admitting her client had previous convictions, she said his last one was in 2007.
Wickham maintained that Ward was sorry about the incident and was willing to adhere to any bail conditions.
“He just wants an opportunity to provide for himself and his children,” she told the magistrate.
Ward is scheduled to reappear in court on February 1, 2019.