HealthLocal NewsNews UWI looking at online classes by Barbados Today 12/03/2020 written by Barbados Today 12/03/2020 3 min read A+A- Reset FacebookTwitterLinkedinWhatsappEmail 313 Authorities at the University of the West Indies Cave Hill campus are examining the possibility of moving all classes online as administration rolls out a slew of protocols and procedures to tackle the growing COVID-19 pandemic. A memo circulated to โThe Campus Communityโ entitled COVID-19 protocols and procedures indicated the decisions were made after an extraordinary meeting of the Steering Committee, Academic Board at the campus. But a decision has not yet been made on this yearโs carnival celebrations at the Cave Hill campus following a decision on Wednesday to postpone the annual festivities at Mona. Barbados TODAY understands that after a Campus Steering Committee meeting on March 6, visitors to the campus were encouraged to follow โproper etiquetteโ when coughing and sneezing and be wary of touching โhigh riskโ surfaces including doorknobs and telephones. โThe campus will work in collaboration with the Ministry of Health to isolate those members of the campus community who have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus,โ the statement said. Under a section labeled โstudentsโ, it added that the university would make arrangements to facilitate online learning if restrictions on social gatherings are announced by the authorities. You Might Be Interested In Crystal Beckles-Holder, 2nd runner up in regional competition GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses Barbadians asked to help with return tickets for Haitians When contacted, a high-level source indicated that the need to move classes online did not appear imminent but assured Barbados TODAY that the campus is equipped to make the necessary adjustments. A sign posted at the University of the West Indies Cave Hill Campus. โThat is one of the options but I donโt think they are ready to implement that as yet. UWI does quite a lot of online teaching already. When you look at Open Campus, many of those classes are online,โ the source told Barbados TODAY. โI am not sure what the technical requirements would need to be and if the current framework would be able to go fully online but I know that is what we are aiming to do ultimately and the majority of what they are hoping to deliver will be online. โThings are evolving and measures have been put in place with regard to travel and the way people are being asked to conduct their business,โ added the source. Efforts to contact Principal, Most Honourable Professor Eudine Barriteau were unsuccessful. However, Cave Hillโs Communications Officer Chelston Lovell revealed that the matter would likely be addressed later in the week. On Tuesday, a directive from the universityโs regional headquarters in Jamaica placed restrictions on all non-essential travel as part of its โcommitment to regional and global strategy in respect of COVID-19โ as well as administrationโs efforts to safeguard students, staff and guests. Hours later, a statement released by the Mona Guild of Students and the UWIย confirmed the postponement of carnival activities set to take place from March 12-15 at the Kingston campus. Barbados TODAYโs source, however, indicated that no decision had been taken on the festivities at Cave Hill slated for early April. โAs far as I know, the majority of events that would have a mass gathering are still on schedule including the carnival. No decisions have been taken with regard to that yet,โ the source added. The correspondence encouraged all faculties to consider minimising the number of conferences, workshops, and lectures that involve visitors to the campus for the next six months and discouraged travel to areas affected by COVID 19. Meanwhile, the number of cases in the Caribbean is slowly increasing. The World Health Organisationโs (WHO) March 11 situation report on COVID-19 indicated that the total number of confirmed cases totalled 12 with one in Jamaica, five in French Guiana, three in Martinique, two in St. Martin and one in Saint Barthelemy. Guyana have also confirmed the South American countryโs first case on Wednesday, as well as authorities in St Vincent and the Grenadines. kareemsmith@barbadostoday.bb Barbados Today Stay informed and engaged with our digital news platform. The leading online multimedia news resource in Barbados for news you can trust. You may also like 64โyearโold facing misconduct, conflict of interest charges 22/08/2026 One Family Programme Delivers BackโtoโSchool Relief 22/08/2026 Women march into Pan-Am squash quarter-finals 22/08/2026