Cricket West Indies (CWI) is refuting charges made by former Barbados and West Indies allrounder Shaquana Quintyne that she was abandoned by CWI after being injured during a practice session held at the Coolidge Cricket Ground, Antigua, during a camp in preparation for the International Cricket Council 50-over World Cup three years ago.
Last Friday during an interview with Barbados TODAY, Quintyne disclosed that she was filing a lawsuit against CWI after being forsaken by the governing body of cricket in the region. The former promising cricketer stated she had three operations performed on her knee in Barbados, Jamaica and Canada after tearing the cruciate ligaments in her right knee during the fall. As a result she has no cartilage in her right knee and now suffers from osteoarthritis.
Quintyne, 24, stated she had a brace on her knee for an extended period of time due to the injury that had left her in excruciating pain. She said she has been footing her medical expenses that were extremely costly. Quintyne, a contracted player at the time of her injury, indicated that she lost her contract with CWI shortly after being injured.
In a clear the air statement issued by CWI and in a subsequent interview with Barbados TODAY, CWI’s chief executive officer Johnny Grave said Quintyne’s comments had depicted his organization as uncaring towards its cricketers which he stressed was not the case. According to Grave, CWI provided over $100,000 in assistance to Quintyne and extended her contract during her rehabilitation and recovery process.
“CWI categorically refutes the claims made by Miss Quintyne that she was left to fend for herself after being injured while on West Indies duty. CWI provided financial and medical support throughout the process and facilitated her rehabilitation and recovery after her various surgical procedures that were paid for in full by CWI. We sought to have the best medical help available in the region and outside and ensured she received full payment during the period under contract and for a period beyond the scheduled end of her contract. In addition to this, CWI also provided miscellaneous expenses incurred by Miss Quintyne during her rehabilitation,” Grave said.
The CEO said that CWI was not aware of any legal action being pursued by Quintyne.
“The last correspondence exchanged between CWI and any representative acting on behalf of Miss Quintyne was back in January 2019,” Grave said.
Meanwhile, Grave also clarified suggestions making the rounds that Barbados and West Indies Test opener Kraigg Brathwaite has lost his retainer contract with CWI. Brathwaite has had a horrid time at the crease over the past 13 months. In ten Test matches between October 4, 2018 and November 27, 2919, the solid right- handed batsman has amassed a mere 294 runs at an average of 15.47. His highest score during this period was 49 in the first innings of the second Test against England at North Sound, Antigua, last year.
In his last ten Test innings Brathwaite has scored 49, 5 not out, 12, 8, 14, 1 10, 3, 11 and 8. His batting was marginally better but still below par in this year’s regional first-class season where he amassed 468 runs at an average of 32.42 for Barbados Pride and with a top score of 84.
Brathwaite’s poor form during the first-class season has led to fans speculating that he might not be selected for the now postponed tour to England by the West Indies which was scheduled to begin next month. On Tuesday, secretary of the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) Gregory Nicholls suggested on social media that Brathwaite had lost his retainer contract with CWI.
When asked if Brathwaite had indeed lost his retainer contract with CWI, Grave said it was presumptuous at this stage for anyone to suggest that the vice-captain of the West Indies Test team had lost his contract with CWI because no contracts at either the International or franchise level had been offered yet to any players.
“The Board is waiting on the recommendations from the Financial Strategy Advisory Committee before deciding on when new contracts will be issued. All current contracts expire on the 30th of June 2020, with new contracts due to start on July 1st. If any International contracted player loses their contract, they are automatically offered a grade A contract for the next year, which is the highest level franchise contract,” Grave said.
Read our ePaper. Fast. Factual. Free.
Sign up and stay up to date with Barbados' FREE latest news.