Local News ‘Hat in the ring’: Critic launches bid to oust NUPW leader by Barbados Today 01/05/2021 written by Barbados Today Updated by Desmond Brown 01/05/2021 1 min read A+A- Reset Members of the executive from left. third vice president Kimberley Agard; second vice president Charles Bostic; first vice president Kim Webster, president Akanni McDowall; general treasurer Pamela Humphrey and general manager Roy Greenidge. FacebookTwitterLinkedinWhatsappEmail 239 On the eve of May Day celebrations, an executive of the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW), has served notice of her intention to challenge president Akanni McDowell for the top post, weeks after publicly criticising the union leader. Kimberley Agard, Third Vice President, publicly declared her candidacy for the post of president late Friday. A statement issued by Agard said: “The decision to contest the post of Presidency stems from an immense sense of loyalty, responsibility and dedication to the union. The determination to lead this team comes from the recognition that the NUPW is at a stage where its focus and the representation of its members has been sporadic and diluted. “The core of her and her team’s campaign messages will be based on several relevant features designed to enhance and re-elevate the NUPW to being the premier entity in the trade union movement locally, regionally and internationally.” Agard’s presidential bid comes as no surprise. At the union’s annual general conference earlier this month, Agard accused current union president Akanni McDowall of using the organisation to advance his own personal interests. The presidential hopeful said her team will be announced at a later date but said it would consist of members who have “a combined history of mature and steady leadership within various facets of the NUPW. These proven leadership qualities of the team will facilitate the restoration of the culture of engagement amongst the entire membership base as well as offer representation beyond just a voice in these trying and changing times.” You Might Be Interested In Crystal Beckles-Holder, 2nd runner up in regional competition GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses Barbadians asked to help with return tickets for Haitians NUPW elections are set for June 2nd after being postponed owing to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Barbados Today Stay informed and engaged with our digital news platform. The leading online multimedia news resource in Barbados for news you can trust. You may also like Suarez Bros circus relocation linked to water protection – minister 18/08/2026 CAPE results rise as CSEC Maths improves – CXC 18/08/2026 CXC records more than 35 000 no-shows across CAPE, CSEC exams 18/08/2026