HealthLocal NewsRegional Ebola risk to Caribbean still low, says CARPHA by Shamar Blunt 21/05/2026 written by Shamar Blunt Updated by Benson Joseph 21/05/2026 2 min read A+A- Reset Executive Director of the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), Dr Lisa Indar. (Photo Credit: Shamar Blunt/Barbados TODAY) FacebookTwitterLinkedinWhatsappEmail 12 A heightened Ebola outbreak in central and east Africa has prompted regional health authorities to step up surveillance, but officials said Thursday the likelihood of the virus reaching the Caribbean remains low despite increased global concern. The Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) said in a statement it has intensified its monitoring and surveillance systems after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern.ย CARPHA explained that it continues to monitor the outbreak โthrough its global scanning early warning mechanismsโ and a network of surveillance tools designed to detect potential threats early. Among the systems being utilised are the Tourism and Health Information System (THiS), the Caribbean Vessel Surveillance System (CVSS), national syndromic surveillance through the District Health Information System (DHIS), and the Talkwalker social listening platform. CARPHA Executive Director Dr Lisa Indar noted that while the likelihood of the virus reaching the region is low, Caribbean countries must stay prepared because of the regionโs key role as a major international travel hub. โDespite the low risk, CARPHA is urging its member states to maintain a high state of readiness,โ Dr Indar said. You Might Be Interested In Immunisation Record Inspections To Start Monday Ministry of Health – No cases of H1N1 virus so far this year Fogging schedule for January 22 โ 25 โBecause the Caribbean is a major global travel hub, the primary way the virus could arrive is through an infected traveller.โ She added that CARPHAโs surveillance systems provide โa layered, yet proactive approach to early warningโ, which assists member states with the โearly detection, verification, and response to emerging health threatsโ. CARPHA also revealed that on Monday it partnered with the regional security agency, CARICOM IMPACS, to reactivate an advanced electronic screening system at border entry points. The system is intended to securely flag and review the travel history of passengers coming from or passing through affected African countries, while minimising disruption to travel and trade. The outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, a species that causes severe and often fatal viral haemorrhagic fever. Outbreaks of this strain have historically been very rare, with only two prior documented outbreaks: in Uganda (2007โ2008) and the DRC in 2012. CARPHA noted, however, that there are currently no licensed vaccines or specific treatments available for the Bundibugyo strain. Ebola spreads through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person who is already showing symptoms, or through contaminated materials. Symptoms can appear between two and 21 days after exposure and include fever, severe headaches, muscle pain, weakness, fatigue, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain, and, in some cases, unexplained bruising or bleeding. While stressing that the current outbreak does not meet the criteria for a pandemic, CARPHA said the situation remains an โextraordinary event requiring coordinated international actionโ and pledged to continue monitoring developments closely while providing updates to regional partners. Up to last Saturday, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths had been reported in Ituri Province of the DRC. ย (SB) ย Shamar Blunt You may also like Mill disruptions, labour tensions extend difficult sugar season 21/05/2026 New onion farmer scores big with first crop 21/05/2026 Opposition Senator Walters denies dismissal from restaurant biz 21/05/2026