Commuters on Transport Board buses should prepare for delays, Chief Executive Officer Fabian Wharton today warned amid complaints about people being left behind and a long wait for buses.
Under the restrictions under the Emergency Management COVID-19 Order governing the second phase of the recovery drive, public service vehicles and buses can only fill 60 per cent of their seating capacity and no two passengers are to be allowed to sit side by side.
Wharton said: “We are aware as a result of the passenger limit commuters were unable to board buses at our terminals or on the routes. Given the size of our fleet and the restrictions under which we operate, commuters should expect some delays. Our operations team is working to add additional services on the shorter routes which in turn will have a positive effect on the longer routes.”
Using Bathsheba as an example, he further explained: “By deploying a Horse Hill service, which is a shorter service, about 15 to 20 mins ahead of the Bathsheba service, which is a longer route, we will help increase capacity on the longer route. We will continue to use this measure particularly on our long haul services during peak times.”
Wharton also reminded passengers they must adhere to other strict guidelines including the wearing of masks.
“With more people beginning to report to work, we expect to see incremental increases in ridership,” said Wharton. “We are still in the midst of a public health emergency, and in accordance with the curfew directive we are reminding persons that it is compulsory for all passengers to wear face masks when riding the buses.”
He also commended the state bus company’s staff during the pandemic ensuring the safe transport of commuters. He also thanked members of the public for their prompt reporting of non-compliance on the part of Transport Board operators.
In a recent incident last Friday reported by Barbados TODAY, a nurse on board the Connell Town Bus claimed that she was unfairly treated by the driver after she told him she would not breach the policy by sitting next to another passenger.
“I want to reiterate that these actions are in serious breach of the Transport Board’s code of conduct and I want to assure the public that in each instance there will be a thorough investigation and the appropriate actions taken.”
It was not immediately known what further action had been taken on the incident.
Read our ePaper. Fast. Factual. Free.
Sign up and stay up to date with Barbados' FREE latest news.