NewsWorld WORLD – George Floyd death: Ex-officer Chauvin will not take the stand by Barbados Today 15/04/2021 written by Barbados Today Updated by Asminnie Moonsammy 15/04/2021 4 min read A+A- Reset FacebookTwitterLinkedinWhatsappEmail 217 SOURCE: BBC News โ The ex-officer accused of killing George Floyd says he will not testify on his own behalf as the defence rests their case and court is adjourned. Derek Chauvin denies killing Mr Floyd. Jurors are due to begin deliberating his fate on Monday morning. Video of Mr Chauvin kneeling on the neck of Mr Floyd led to worldwide protests against racism and policing. Tensions in Minneapolis are running high after an unrelated police shooting of a black man in a nearby suburb. Experts say it would be unusual for a suspect to take the stand in their own defence during a trial. Before the jury was brought into the courtroom on Thursday, Mr Chauvin was asked a series of questions about his decision not to testify. You Might Be Interested In Crystal Beckles-Holder, 2nd runner up in regional competition Bangladesh opposition demand new vote Business owners disappointed His defence lawyer, Eric Nelson, began by asking whether he and Mr Chauvin had previously discussed his decision. โCorrect,โ Mr Chauvin said several times. โTo say weโve gone kind of back and forth on the matter is kind of understatement, isnโt that right?โ asked Mr Nelson. โYes it is,โ Mr Chauvin responded, as they both briefly smiled. โI will invoke my Fifth Amendment privilege today,โ Mr Chauvin then told the court, referring to the constitutional right to stay silent in fear of self-incrimination. Asked by the judge whether this was his decision alone, and whether anyone else had unfairly influenced his decision, Mr Chauvin responded: โNo promises or threats, your honour.โ After prosecutors recalled an earlier witness โ Dr Martin Tobin, who disputed the notion that Mr Floyd died of carbon monoxide poisoning โ the judge adjourned the court until Monday. The defence rested on Thursday, setting the stage for closing arguments from each side to happen on Monday. Once the state and Mr Chauvinโs defence have presented their closing arguments, the judge will send the jury into sequestration. โExpect that when you report for duty on Monday that it will be followed by sequestration,โ Judge Peter Cahill told the jury this week. โSo pack your bag.โ While sequestered, the jury will be kept in a private location โ typically a hotel โ and must rely on their own memories of the lawyerโs arguments and witness testimonies to render their verdict. They are given computers that contain all of the video and audio evidence that has been heard in court. The jury has been only partially sequestered until now. They are allowed to return home every night but are escorted into the courthouse everyday from a secure location. They are forbidden from reading media reports about the case, and every move they make inside the courthouse is watched by a bailiff. On Monday, Mr Chauvinโs lawyer argued that unrest over the shooting of Duante Wright in the nearby suburb of Brooklyn Center just 10 miles (16km) from the courthouse should trigger full sequestration during the final week of arguments. But the judge disagreed, saying โthis is a totally different caseโ. All 12 jurors must agree to Mr Chauvinโs guilt in order for him to be convicted. There are three separate charges that they must consider. Second-degree murder โ This is the most serious charge. It will require prosecutors to prove that Mr Chauvin was assaulting Mr Floyd when he caused his death. Mr Chauvin could face up to 40 years in jail if convicted on this count. Third-degree murder โ To convict on this charge, the jury must be convinced that Mr Chauvin showed a reckless disregard for human life. The charge carries a maximum sentence of 25 years. Second-degree manslaughter โ For the final charge, prosecutors will try to demonstrate that Mr Chauvin took an โunreasonable riskโ when he restrained Mr Floyd, putting him at risk of death or serious harm. With the manslaughter charge, prosecutors do not need prove he actually caused Mr Floydโs death. Someone found guilty of this charge may be sentenced to up to 10 years in jail. Itโs unknown how long jury deliberation may last. Experts say it could be brief โ as little as one hour โ or it could take weeks. Judge Cahill has said that if verdict comes late in the day, the result will be announced the following morning. Barbados Today Stay informed and engaged with our digital news platform. The leading online multimedia news resource in Barbados for news you can trust. You may also like Walk for the Cure returns on October 4 as organisers target bigger... 31/07/2026 Fundraising Cricket Day to support Cancer Society, Royals Girls Club 31/07/2026 Economy loses steam as global shocks slow growth outlook, Central Bank reports 30/07/2026