Home ยป Posts ยป Trial date set for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs in sex trafficking case

Trial date set for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs in sex trafficking case

by Barbados Today
4 min read
A+A-
Reset

The sex trafficking trial against music mogul Sean โ€œDiddyโ€ Combs is set to begin May 5, a judge announced Thursday.

The trial is expected to last about a month, but prosecutors said the length could change if more charges are added.

Combs is already charged with sex trafficking by force, transportation to engage in prostitution and racketeering conspiracy. Prosecutors allege he ran an โ€œenterprise that he engaged in sex trafficking, forced labor or, kidnapping, arson and other crimes,โ€ according to the indictment unsealed last month.

โ€œOur investigation is very much ongoing,โ€ prosecutor Emily Johnson said. The possibility of a superseding indictment could affect the length of the trial, she added.

Combs will remain behind bars indefinitely after a federal appeals court declined to immediately release him while a three-judge panel considers whether he deserves bail.

The panel will consider whether he eventually should be released on the bail package he offered, including a $50 million bond, restrictions on visitors and supervision by private security guards.

Combs appeared in court Thursday wearing a beige jail uniform. He was not handcuffed but did have silver shackles on his ankles. He embraced his attorneys and waved to his mother and sons as he walked into the courtroom.

Prosecutors said federal authorities have seized 100 electronic devices from Combs and are still working to extract data from all of them.

Authorities seized 51 devices from Combsโ€™ Los Angeles mansion during a raid last March. They seized 36 devices that same day from his Miami estate, and nine devices were taken from Combs himself during a search while he was at a private airport in Florida.

Authorities subsequently seized Combsโ€™ phone the night of his arrest and seized three additional devices following a search of his Manhattan hotel room.

โ€œThe governmentโ€™s ability to decrypt those devices is constantly evolving,โ€ Johnson said.

Johnson also said the government served Combsโ€™ company, Combs Global, with a subpoena the same day as the home raids on March 25. The company is still turning over records.

Thursdayโ€™s hearing came after Combs accused federal agents and prosecutors in a court filing of unlawfully leaking the hotel security footage that showed him attacking his then-girlfriend Casandra Ventura at a Los Angeles hotel in 2016. The video was obtained by CNN in May and Combs acknowledged its legitimacy and apologized for his actions in the video.

Prosecutors denied leaking the video in a letter to the judge, and also said they had previously informed the defense they did not obtain the video through the grand jury process and did not believe Homeland Security Investigations obtained the video prior to CNN airing it.

โ€œThe Government was not in possession of the video before its publication by CNN. Indeed, at the time of CNNโ€™s publication, the Government did not possess any video of the March 2016 incident,โ€ prosecutors wrote.

During Thursdayโ€™s hearing, in response to Combsโ€™ accusation, the judge agreed to impose an order meant to protect grand jury material and nonpublic evidence.

โ€œThe concern is the agents have been leaking grand jury information,โ€ defense attorney Marc Agnifilo said.

Prosecutors called the accusation they were behind the leak โ€œbaselessโ€ and said it was a defense attempt โ€œto exclude a damning piece of evidenceโ€ from the trial.

โ€œNot a single one of those alleged leaks is from the prosecution team,โ€ Johnson said.Johnson took issue with statements Agnifilo made to TMZ asserting Combs is being prosecuted because he is Black.

โ€œHe baselessly accused the government of engaging in a racist prosecution,โ€ Johnson said. As she quoted one of Agnifiloโ€™s statements, Combs could be seen nodding in agreement.

Johnson said the defense statements โ€œseriously risk a fair trial.โ€

The defense made no new attempt to have Combs released on bail and declined to pursue a previously suggested move from a federal lockup in Brooklyn to a jail in Essex County, New Jersey.

โ€œWeโ€™re making a go of the MDC,โ€ Agnifilo said, referring to the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn. โ€œMDC has been responsive with us.โ€

Combs was given a minute before being ushered out to turn toward his family. He smiled and blew kisses at his mother and bowed with hands clasped as if in prayer toward his children. One of his children was seen flexing his arm, as if to remind his father to remain strong.

SOURCE: ABC News

You may also like

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Accept Privacy Policy

-
00:00
00:00
Update Required Flash plugin
-
00:00
00:00